mercredi 24 octobre 2007

wither must i wander

I like taking photos. I think everyone that knows of my existence knows that now. Actually, even those who don't know of my existence but saw my photo on some random site because someone posted my work there without my permission(I'm not complaining) can get the gist that the person who took the photo(me) likes to take photos.

I do not like mounting my photos. Today I got some very big cardboard and decided to attack it with a stanley knife so I could mount my photography for the exhibition. I used a ruler and a pencil and long division to make sure my calculations were meticulously precise before scratching into the cardboard. "Ok, I want nine 193.5mm x 124.5mm windows cut into these three 30cm x 100cm pieces of cardboard. 10cm from each end length ways and 87.5mm from each end width ways". I made sure the corners were right angles.

fast forward 50minutes

My white cardboard had black fingerprints on them because my hands were dirty from the ink which had spilled out of my pen during maths. My cardboard had 2 windows in them. Each with a prime number of cuts randomly hacked around the edge in an almost purposeful looking manner because there were so many. My arm is shaking like it's holding a polaroid picture and my nose inches away from the stanley knife. I am angry that I just cut 203.5mm instead of 193.5mm. My teacher takes a glance at my handiwork and gives me a sad look.

The thumb and forefinger on my right hand is still tingling eventhough it's been over 3 hours since I was using the stanley knife. And the worst part is, after consoling me for a while my teacher convinced me that although I was showing great feminist integrity in trying to mount something myself, I should now just give Jeff or Paul the measurements and let him do it. They can even do fancy 45 degree beveling.

Now that the rant is over, I'm going to share some nice things.


Crazy Yves Klein. And ofcourse, a moment after the photo was taken, he landed on the ground.


Works by a new artist I discovered Peter Callesen


He's a little bit amazing








I kind of wonder whether the expression is real

Kate Moss by Ryan McGinley


Nice painting of nice lady with nice butt.


Bonnie and Clyde <33 Did I mention that I at times wish I was American and had a boyfriend so that for Halloween I could be Bonnie and he could be Clyde?

I like random blog entries.

Cheers,

Sunni



4 commentaires:

Matt Lew a dit…

Hooray for photos. =] I like photos too. I've taken over 1000 at school the past 2 days. I've sure gone crazy and must've decreased the life of my 400D by heaps. But it's worth it. =] Never going to get another chance to get photos of all my friends in uniform again. =D

Anonyme a dit…

Stanley Knifes, i find, generally suck. They lack the mobility, flexibility and general sharpness of a scalpel blade. Really. Use a scalpel if you want to cut. Or the 45 degree angle cut.

and somehow, i think you'll make a bad engineer.

p.s when's the exhibition?

sunni a dit…

matt you are crazy. i am sure that you take more photos than me. i've sort of gotten over taking a camera with me everywhere because i like tiny little purses with long straps which don't fit a camera. i'm thinking of getting a crumpler bag. they go with everything. i need a simple messenger bag in grey or something. yes.

and eric, i think you are right there with the 'bad engineer' thought.

Anonyme a dit…

"And the worst part is, after consoling me for a while my teacher convinced me that although I was showing great feminist integrity in trying to mount something myself, I should now just give Jeff or Paul the measurements and let him do it."

Zing.

Anonymous I